TrueCrypt remains the choice to be made when PC users need to create encrypted virtual disks or just encrypt a single partition or any storage device, including USB flash drives. It is one of the smallest apps available for the job of protecting your documents, and – in addition to that – comes for free and remains like that.
One advantage can be considered the possibility to encrypt Windows partitions, thus pre-boot authentication gets included. By the use of advanced pipelining technology and hardware acceleration techniques, you will feel no difference between the way data got stored before and after encryption.
TrueCrypt features and benefits:
• Creates a virtual encrypted disk
within a file and mounts it as a real disk
• Encryption is automatic
, real-time (on-the-fly) and transparent
• Parallelization and pipelining allow data to be read and written as fast as if the drive was not encrypted
• Encryption can be hardware-accelerated
on modern processors
• Encrypts an entire partition or storage device such as USB flash drive or hard drive
• Encrypts a partition or drive where Windows is installed (pre-boot authentication)