TrueCrypt remains the choice to be made when PC users need to create encrypted virtual disks or just encrypt a single partition or any storage device, including USB flash drives. It is one of the smallest apps available for the job of protecting your documents, and ‘ in addition to that ‘ comes for free and remains like that. One advantage can be considered the possibility to encrypt Windows partitions, thus pre-boot authentication gets included. By the use of advanced pipelining technology and hardware acceleration techniques, you will feel no difference between the way data got stored before and after encryption.
- Creates a virtual encrypted disk within a file and mounts it as a real disk
- Encryption is automatic, real-time (on-the-fly) and transparent
- Parallelization and pipelining allow data to be read and written as fast as if the drive was not encrypted
- Encryption can be hardware-accelerated on modern processors
- Encrypts an entire partition or storage device such as USB flash drive or hard drive
- Encrypts a partition or drive where Windows is installed (pre-boot authentication)