Author / Homepage:
Audacity helps you record sounds from various sources and also lets them edit the resulted sound track in some simple, basic ways. As cross-platform and Open Source software, this represents a nice achievement for the team behind it, a team that promotes freedom of speech and freedom to improve upon the capabilities of this specific software.
The app is particularly useful when you need to record live audio from external sources, such as the microphone or the line-in device. Additional functionality enables users to record the playback from the computer with no quality issues at all.
With this, you can save the music from cassettes to MP3 and various other common formats. Pitch, speed and various mixing procedures are supported.
Audacity features and benefits:
• Record at sample rates up to 192,000 Hz
• Record at 24-bit depth, multiple channels at once
• Supports 16-bit, 24-bit and 32-bit (floating point) samples
• Easy audio file editing
• Edit and mix large numbers of tracks
• Sample rates and formats are converted using high-quality resampling and dithering
• Import MPEG audio (including MP2 and MP3 files) using libmad
• Import raw (headerless) audio files using the "Import Raw" command
• Export MP3 files with the optional LAME encoder library
• Import and export AC3, M4A/M4R (AAC) and WMA with the optional FFmpeg library