Silverlight is the developer’s platform for creating modern content for both online and offline experiences on desktop, Web and mobiles. Whereas the suite addresses to developers in particular, running the end-result content also requires the plug-in.
Great at streaming media, especially across online environment, the software has now turned to animation and graphics. The impressive array of features starts with a pivot viewer, intended to ease the work with huge amounts of data.
More basic functionality includes 3D perspectives in graphics, smooth streaming and support for zoom and third-party codecs. It actually scores highest at graphics control and creation, by allowing styling and skinning, which have been made more and more customizable.
Silverlight features and benefits:
• Custom branded experiences using 2D vector graphics, animation, styling, and skinning
• HD video and adaptive streaming techniques
for world-class media experiences
• Unparalleled interactivity with high resolution content through Deep Zoom technology enabling smooth browsing independent of screen size
• Multi-channel deployment
of web applications to the desktop and devices through .NET
• Cost effective media delivery via Windows Server
• Monetization of media assets via protected content and advertising-enabled scenarios
• Thriving ecosystem of .NET and Windows Media partners, developers, and applications
• Team Productivity
• Rapid development through XML-based declarative markup and a full set of controls Role-specific productivity tools to enhance designer--developer collaboration, with Expression Studio, Visual Studio, and Visual Studio Team System
• Easy to add richness to AJAX applications and reduce cross-browser issues